The 2010 trip notes are courtesy of Craig "The Pylon King".
The Birth of the Viceroy!
Castaways Against Cancer
June 5-11, 2010
DAY ONE - Virginia Key to Elliott Key
- Spectacular send off party
- Kelly Butler, Local 10 news interviews
- Paddle boarders spotted off Virginia Key
- Cape Florida Lighthouse break is well deserved; lady on beach indentifies Castaways from news story
- Soldier Key lunch break, Rookie initiation
- Rough waters
- Sands Key cut Sandbar party
- Elliot Key, Viceroy gets a mouthful, “Vino” is born
- Welcome to Elliot Key features Heat, humidity, bugs and sleeping on concrete. After three showers, five gallons of sweat and 15,000 Mosquitoeslater the sun finally rises. “Just another night in the box.”
DAY TWO - Elliott Key to Key Largo
- Early morning departure from Elliot Key
- Fair winds, smooth waters, and high visibility
- Classic Obrien tales begin to flow
- The Ominous Turkey Point towers are on the horizon
- Large Sea Turtle spotting north of Card Sound Point
- Great break at Alabama Jacks, lunch consists of Conch fritters, fish dip, salads, burgers, crab cakes, fish sandwiches, cold drinks and Key Lime Pie.
- Barnes sound is trying end on a full stomach and long day paddle.
- First on the water donation is given to skipper by Powerboat near entrance to Jewfish Creek. Lady is owner of Snapper seafood resturant
- Castaways are given a powerboat escort
- Day two concludes at Gilberts with a round of rumrunners
DAY THREE - Key Largo to FBO to Holiday Isle on Islamorada
- Launch into glass like waters
- Dolphins spotted near FBO
- Coffee break at FBO
- Team is sad to see Rainman leave
- Dunsenberry Creek is very calm, conditions ideal for fish locating
- Mangrove tunnel is smooth
- Lunch break is taken at high tide shoal,
- Castaways Toilet seat is intact but severely faded by sun exposure
- Toilet seat row is voted best break ever..
- Dark clouds roll in from Western edge
- Team watches as large portable generator detaches from truck and nearly topples over Snake Creek bridge
- Skipper has cracked c@ck sandwich at Yahoos
- Castaways menu is proposed
DAY FOUR - Holiday Isle to the Gulf View Resort on Grassy Key
- Spectacular sunrise over Gulf Stream
- Robbies is a feast
- Pancakes at Anne’s beach
- Slalom course under Craig’s key Bridge
- Tarpon and sea turtle spotting near Channel 5 bridge
- Gatorade and Ice Cream at Fiesta Key
- New Long Key break aka Pete’s Grassy Shoal
- Long Key “Get your butt handed to you” viaduct crossing
- Ray spotting outside Gulf View Resort
- Mike, Stephanie and Boys welcome gang ashore
- Rum & Coke Poolside “Castaways Happy Hour”
- Dinner at the Wreck
DAY FIVE - Grassy Key to Bahia Honda State Park
- Push off, calm waters, sweltering heat & humidity
- Viceroy comments that “Vaca cut was tame today”
- Sombrero lunch stop
- Molasses Key Resort “Where else do they serve you square wine in the sauna?”
- Ohio Key Channel Float
- Harwoods greet boys with "Hey you boys want to drink some beer?”
- Pete’s mom makes the Best Cuban Food in the lower keys. The brownies are the size of cakes.
- The Big Pine Bailout: Beers, cigars, and a light up your life lightening storm for entertainment.
DAY SIX - Bahia Honda to the Sugarloaf Lodge on Sugarloaf Key
- Suggestion for new bridge warning sign “Watch out for hanging debris and falling generators”
- Great crossing of Bahia Honda and Big pine Key channels
- Discussion of good quality business cards
- Gypsies in the palace lunch at Little Palm Island resort. Hands down best Key Lime Pie in the Keys add to Castaways menu.
- Dark clouds to the south, dark clouds to the west, push right down the middle
- The push up the not so lazy river, results in one of the best float breaks on record.” Who knew you would find white water in the Florida Keys.
- Sugarloaf Key - Rumrunners, burgers and old Friends.
DAY SEVEN - Sugarloaf to the Casa Marina on Key West
- Early morning interview with local radio station
- The big push to arrive on time.
- Brief but rewarding break at the Castaways bar
- Sharks, rays, tarpons and calm waters
- US Navy provides air support
- Casa Marina welcome consists of family, friends, ACS representatives, and Mayor of Key West.
- Cold Drinks and massages for team.
- Another Year in the books!!
Return to Trip Reports